Bipin Badheka: Pranam, Guruji. Charan Sparsh. (1) In Manu smruti 7/47, in type of kam vasna, ˜taurya trikam i.e. to sing, bajana etc. is stated. So just to understand that whether film music and dance are covered under this? If someone likes says old classic hindi film songs and listens then whether it is sin? Like today we commonly see that many people & music lovers likes to hear such songs. So whether it comes under kam vasna. Please guide.
(2) In your book ˜brahmacharya-ek dukh nivarak mani there is mention of Indra and Urvashi. Could you please explain exactly who were these so that illusion regarding these two names and their heard stories can be removed.
(3) It is stated that Shri Krishna had 3 sons who were killed in front of him by members of rajya sabha. Who were these three? How many sons Shri Krishna had? Whether Abhimayu was 4th one?
(4) Also word ˜Bhagirathi ganga nadi is mentioned in the book. So why Ganganadi is called Bhagirathi? Pauranik story of Bhagirath getting Ganga from heaven to earth is against and rules of God. So what is the truth?
(5) It is stated that- Gangadevi mentioned that Devvrat is his eighth son. So whether other 7 were girls since Shantanu says to Devvrat ˜you are only my son & he desires second son so as to increase his kingdom & vansh? Please guide for above. Pranam.
Swami Ram Swarup: My blessings to you.
(1) The shloka has reference to context with previous shlokas. So, the correct meaning of Manu Smriti shloka 7/47 is as under please.
The following sins including addiction are generated in mind-
Mrigaya= hunting, Akshaha=gambling, devaswapna- to sleep in day time,
Parivaadaha= to listen/read stories relating to sex and backbiting,
Istriyaha= to make frequent contact with ladies,
Madaha= take addictions
Toriya Trikam= to sing, to play on instruments, to dance or to see dance, to listen to bad songs etc., i.e., to listen sexual or bad songs, to see sexual dance etc., and to sing sexual songs or to play musical instruments with bad intention etc., are the grave sins which are generated if a man is indulged in sexual activities.
So, mostly when the listening of songs, singing of songs, watching dances etc., are used to become famous in opposite sex or society with pride, ego, greed etc., then one must think that such persons are involved in sexual activities which destroy the whole life/ family even and even increase more sins. So, if someone likes to listen classic Hindi filmy songs with pure heart, then it makes no difference. Yet, carefulness must always be there.
One more thing that Manusmriti and spiritual books have been written by learned rishi-munis whose senses, mind and intellect are totally controlled and far away from sins. So, to understand their idea of shlokas (ideas of Rishi-munis) by a person who does not listen to vedas, does not practice Ashtang Yoga, has no control over senses, mind and intellect is impossible. That is why, vedas advice to listen and study culture of holy books from learned spiritual master.
(2) Yudhishthir had sent Arjun to take training of weapons from king named Indra. It is stated that Urvashi was also present when the court of Indra assembled. Arjun was looking towards Urvashi continuously and Indra too noticed it.
Indra loved Arjun like son. Indra thought that his son Arjun has been attracted towards Urvashi so Indra ordered Urvashi to go to Arjun in his room at night to serve and please him. Urvashi adorned herself with ornaments etc., and went to Arjun at night. Arjun welcomed her and gave her place to sit. Urvashi then told Arjun that I‘ve been asked by King Indra to serve and please you whole night. So, I’m your servant now. Arjun was surprised to listen to such words and replied that I had heard that we the Pandavas were born as descendents of your tribe. Thus you are my elder mother (higher than Grand mother). So I was watching you respectfully thinking you as my mother only. Urvashi was surprised and returned.
(3) Names of Sri Krishna sons are Saamb, Charudeshnn and Pradumn. Sri Krishna Maharaj had three sons according to Mahabharat written by Vyas Muniji. Abhimanyu was the son of Arjun and not of Sri Krishna Maharaj.
(4) There are three main nadis-
Eeda, Pingla nd Sushmana. Some other used to tell the name Bhagirathi instead of pingla. It is also not wrong. When a Yogi does hard Tapasya, practising Ashtang yoga Philosophy then Prann moves from Eeda and pingla nadi and reaches the point in between two eyebrows where three nadis, Eeda , Pingla , Sushmana meet. Nowadays, some people say Ganga, Jamuna, Saraswati.
(5) No, please. Other seven were not girls but were sons.
A S K: I am interested in ordering CDs on Vedas.
Swami Ram Swarup: Necessary reply has been sent to you, please. My blessings to you and your family that you’ve firm faith on the eternal knowledge of Vedas, which emanates direct from God, at the beginning of every creation and is originated in the heart of four Rishis.
Pradeep: Swami’ji, thanks for your reply can you tell me what is prataykshan
sadhna. Is there any description about Yakshni Sadhna given in vedas? As you told me apsara sadhna is man made. So have you encountered anyone who has become successful? Which prataykshan sadhna should I join in?
Swami Ram Swarup: You are welcome, please. Prataykshan and yakshni sadhna are new words for me. Also, these are not mentioned in four Vedas, six shastras, Bhagwad Geeta, Upnishads etc. In Vedas, the main sadhna is to listen to Vedas, to do Yajyen, name jaap of God and practice of Ashtang Yoga Philosophy under guidance of a learned acharya of Vedas and Yoga Philosophy. However, please explain about Prataykshan sadhna in detail to enable me to send my views properly.
Dinesh: I want to do havan to bless Lord Shiva and Vishnu. How can I do? What time? Which day?
Swami Ram Swarup: Hawan/Yajyen is performed only by chanting Ved mantras and not other shlokas etc., say all four Vedas and ancient/present holy books of all Rishi-munis. So, hawan is performed only to realise formless, omnipresent, Almighty God who kills all our sins etc., and provides us with salvation.