Nidhi: Swamiji Pranaam, Posting a few more questions, kindly provide an answer for them. I was having a discussion with a few people and they were unable to understand the reason why smoking and drinking is prohibited. The reasons they gave were alcohol is made due to fermentation of grains or fruits. Then if it is vegetable/ fruit juice that is fermented then why should it not be consumed? Brandy etc is also sometimes prescribed by doctors for cough/cold etc. So if alcohol, etc. is consumed in small quantities why is it bad? If it is addiction then even tea and coffee are addictions then what is the difference between having tea/ coffee or alcohol? I was unable to give a satisfactory answer to them since I am not familiar with all the teachings and meanings of Vedas. Please shed some light on this matter. I would appreciate if you can also mention any shlokas, preachings from Vedas to support the answers. Thanking you for your continued support and answers.
Swami Ramswarup: My blessings to you. First of all, we must know that to take even a drop of poison is harmful. Manusmriti shloka 2/177 states “Varjet Madhumaansat” i.e., Non-vegetarian and any sort of addiction is prohibited.
The definition of addiction is stated-
“ Budhi lumpyati yaddravam madkari tado uchchyatey.”
Meaning:- Consumption of which causes nausea/giddiness in the mind is called addiction.
You see, the consumption of tea leaves does not have the said effect hence it is not addiction.
The preparation of wine, alcohol etc., involves first impurification and even several insects/flies or other kinds of harmful insects are mixed within the dump of sugar molasses of barley, sugarcane etc. This involves violence. Thereafter, it is purified.
Ved mantras for example Yajurveda mantra 12/26, 27 states – take the vegetarian food/aromatic food and not involving foul smell like that of liquor etc.
I would also advise you to know the process of preparation of liquor and I’m sure it involves bad smell, sadna, galna i.e., decay/to rott/ to be poisoned etc. Whereas tea leaves do not have such effect.
If you take even 10 cups or 12 cups of tea. Death will not occur whereas if a person would drink 10-12 cups of liquor sure considerable harm would be done. Preparation of tea does not involve the process of fermentation, etc. Again my blessings to you, my daughter.
Sachin: SWAMI JI PLEASE MERI MADAD KAREIN
SWAMI JI MERE UMAR ABHI 25 YEARS KI HAI MAIN APNE JEEVAN MEIN BHAGWAAN KE AASHIRWAAD SE JEEV HINSA BILKUL NAHI KARTA,AUR SHAKAHAARI BHI HOON AHINSA KE LIYE LEKIN SWAMIJI JAB MEIN 8 SAAL KA THA TAB MAINE KUCH CHITIYON KO MAAR DALA THA KHEL KHEL MEIN AUR TAB MUJHE AHINSA AUR DHRAM-ADAHARM,NYAY AUR PAR-PEEDA KA BILKUL BHI EHSAAS NAHI THA
AUR AB JAB KI MUJHE PAR-PEEDA KA EHSAAS HAI AUR AHINSA KA AHSAAS HAI TAB MUJHE BAHUT BAHUT DUKH HOTA HAI KI BACHPAN MEIN MAINE AISA NEECH KARYA KYUN KIYA,HALANKI MAINE UN CHITIYON KI AATMA KI SHANTI KE LIYE BHAGWAD GITA BHI PADHI HAI AUR BHAGWAD GITA KA EK ADHYAY UNKE LIYE SAMARPIT KIYA HAI, AUR BHAGWAN SE UN CHITIYON KE AATMA KI SHANTI KE LIYE PRARTHANA BHI KI HAI LEKIN MUJHE ABHI BI BEHAD GLAANI HOTI HAI KI MAINE AISA KYUN KIYA ? SWAMI JI MAINE KYA KAROON ? SWAMI JI MERI MADAD KARIYE
Swami Ramswarup: My blessings to you. Yeh aapka bahut achcha gunn hai kee aap shakahari hain. Vedon main kahaa hai kee hey Parmeshwar!mainey jin indriyaon sey paap karma kiye hain unhein Indriyon se main shubh karma karke un karmon ke prayeshchit karoon aur shanti prapt karoon. (Dekhein Atharvaveda mantra 3/13/1, 2).
Isliye ab aap shubh karya karkey chidiyein marney waley paap karma ka prayeshchit karein aur jeevan mein kabhi paap na karne ka sankalp karein aur dukh karna chhod do. Atma kee shanti ke liye yajyen hota hai. Yadi aap Gayatri mantra se roz 11 aahuti bhi daal dein to aap ko bahut labh hoga.
Nidhi: Swamiji Pranaam, Thank you very much for your answers till now. I have a few more questions. Please enlighten by answering them.
1) Nowadays people undergo gender change operation. What is your opinion on the same as per Vedas?
2) Similarly there are rules and laws passed related to Gay people and such. What is your opinion on the same as per Vedas?
If both these should not be done, are there any writings in the Vedas supporting the same?
3) In your previous answer related to Rishi Vishwamitra you replied that “Rishi Vishwamitra lived with Ghritachi “. Can you please explain if Ghritachi is the name of some person or does it mean something else?
4) Can you please give more details about the life of Radha, the cousin of Shri Krishna?
Swami Ramswarup: My blessings to you, my daughter.
1. As per Vedas, unnatural deeds should never even be thought then what to talk about doing the same. You see, when God has given you the human body of man/woman then why we think to change etc.
2. Government means combination of parties consisting of elected representatives. If they would not know the basic principal of Vedas then under voting system etc., they may pass any bill. But, do you think, Sri Ram, Sri Krishna Maharaj, Yudhishthir who were Raj Rishis and learned of Vedas, could pass such bill? So, we should never go against the nature/God.
Vedas preach fundamental law only. So, fundamental law is do not go against the nature and do not indulge in illusion. Because, gay is also unnatural against the Vedas and is not permitted by God in Vedas. People are attracted in such sexual sin duly indulged in illusion due to lack of knowledge of Vedas, hence a great sin.
3. Ghritachi was an apsara. In Vedas, apsara means beautiful lady.
4. No more details, is available in authentic epic, Mahabharat, please.