The rights and duties of wife, husband etc., are as under. The answer consists of only Vedic references.
Duties of wife
(1) Atharvaveda mantra 1/14/1 – A good wife should establish herself permanently in her husband’s house just as mountain firmly establishes itself on ground. If the wife is not learned and does not deal with the family problems etc., faithfully, gently and happily than Atharvaveda mantra 2/14/5 states that she can be divorced and vice-versa.
(2) Atharvaveda mantra 3/25/1- Wife should long to be in company of her husband.
(3) Atharvaveda mantra 3/25/5- wife should be attracted towards the loving attitude of her husband and should always remain sincere to her husband.
(4) Atharvaveda mantra 3/25/6 – wife should discover so much love and affection in her husband’s house that she should not remember her parent’s house at all.
(5) Atharvaveda mantra 3/30/2 – wife should conduct herself sweetly towards her husband.
(6) Atharvaveda mantra 4/38/1 – main qualities of wife:
(a) Should have conquered sensuality (b) hardworking (c) possessing best behaviour (d) striving to maintain home in best way.
(7) Atharvaveda mantra 4/38/2 –
(a) Preserves and increases husband’s money
(b) Spends portion of husband’s earnings on Yajyen.
(c) She is always working hard.
(8) Atharvaveda mantra 4/38/3-
(a) she does all household jobs with zeal and enthusiasm.
(b) Elevates the house in a very mature way.
(c) ensures that there is no shortage of milk and milk products in the house.
(d) conserves the household earnings.
(9) Atharvaveda mantra 4/38/4-
(a) she remains happy
(b) does not get effected by sorrows and anger
(c) makes every one happy with her good behaviour.
(10) Atharvaveda mantra 4/38/5-
(a) toils hard from sunrise to sunset.
(b) does her work in the light of sun and does not confine herself to dark rooms devoid of sunlight.
(11) Atharvaveda mantra 6/8/1 – wife should be dependent on husband just as a creeper completely depends on the tree.
(12) Atharvaveda mantra 6/8/3 -wife should never even think about separating from her husband.
13) Atharvaveda mantra 7/47/2- wife should remain healthy, possess expertise in household jobs, should be God fearing and remember God’s name and possessing divine qualities.
Duties of husband
(1) Atharvaveda mantra 1/34/5 – the sweet and loving behaviour of husband should make the wife to inculcate love and affection towards him.
(2) Atharvaveda mantra 2/30/4 – husband should not hide anything from the wife. In this way he shall win over her heart.
(3) Atharvaveda mantra 5/25/6- he should lead a disciplined, pious life.
(4) Atharvaveda mantra 6/9/2 – husband should try to win over his wife with his love.
(5) Atharvaveda mantra 6/81/1 – husband should lead a disciplined life and should be capable of earning money to sustain his married life.
(6) Atharvaveda mantra 6/89/1 – husband should respect his wife and consider his duty to protect the honour of his life.
1). Husband and wife should share everything in common. This sharing leads to their long life- Atharvaveda mantra 2/30/2
2). Atharvaveda mantra 6/11/1- wife should possess serene/calm nature and husband should be hard working, possessing strong body. This leads to generation of brave children.
3). Atharvaveda mantra 6/42/1- husband and wife should be completely devoid of anger and should work together to accomplish house hold tasks.
4). Atharvaveda mantra 6/89/2- there should be perfect compatibility between husband and wife.
5). Atharvaveda mantra 6/36/1- husband –wife should loving gaze at each other and their faces should reflect happiness.
6). Atharvaveda mantra 7/37/1- husband should never think about females other than his wives and wife should dress up decently and sensibly covering all body parts.
7). Atharvaveda mantra 7/38/1 – wife should firmly hold that she shall never be away from her husband’s house and this firm conviction prevent the husband from being attracted towards other females.