Vedic tips for pregnant ladies by Swami Ramswarup
It is said in four Vedas that, "Mother is the creator of child's future." It is in her hands that how she builds her child's future by adopting good spiritual preach which is all mentioned in four Vedas. Some of the preaches are written here. Always be cheerful, wear pious ornaments, wear very much light coloured clothes and not dark, should keep peace in her mind, think welfare of others, should serve her Acharya/Guru (who knows Vedas), avoid such things which can cause anxiety to her. Don't take stale food, dry food like fired vegetables etc. Don't go in haunted house, cremation ground, don't stand under the tree at night, don't get annoyed, don't shout. Try to be in happy-pleasant mood all times because this all effects the baby to be a wise.
When a baby is in womb then mother's every action plays important role in building child's physique. For child's physical and mental growth, a mother should be careful about her eating habits and way of living so that it should not affect the child anyway. At this stage a simple living and high thinking counts. At this stage if a mother recites gayatri mantra and repeats the name of God both times and reads spiritual books because it makes the future of baby bright. Good sceneries and spiritual photos must be seen and baseless photos, baseless talk must be avoided.
Don't sit on heels, do not go up and down, asan on which you sit should be soft. Don't try to restrain the flow of bathroom, toilet, gas etc. Do not do work hard, do not take hot and heavy eatables, also do not starve yourself. Don't see the shallow regions like trenches, gorges, pits anything which is deep like well etc. Pregnant lady should not put her body to motion frequently, her body should be kept at rest position as far as possible. Means always look at good things and not ugly sights, listen good preach etc. Do not lie on back, lie on body side. Do not take non-vegetarian food, food having addiction should be avoided, deeds which our perceptions and organs restrain to do then immediately leave that deed in all respect. Food should be simple, juicy and tasty.
When mother enters in 5th month the mind of child is more active, in 6th month intellect, in 7th organs are developed. So a mother should do pious deeds because every action of mother affects the unborn baby unknowingly. In 8th month pregnant lady has two hearts. One heart is her own and the other is of the baby. In this month special attention is to be given so a mother should be very much careful about it.
For good growth of child and a mother following things can be adopted---
1. In 1st month plain, cold milk should be taken. Take beneficial and nutritive food.
2. In second month lady should take milk having medicinal qualities (in which you can put elayachi, chhuara etc.) after sieving you can have it.
3. In 3rd month take 2 small tablespoon of honey and 1 small tablespoon of ghee in milk.
NOTE ----NEVER TAKE IN EQUAL PROPORTION BECAUSE IT IS FATAL.
4. In 4th month mix one tola (app. 10gms) of fresh butter in milk.
5. In 5th have milk with ghee in it.
6. In 6th and 7th month have milk with kishmish, elayachi, chhuara etc. (these all are applicable if digested, otherwise take advice from physician to take better food.)
7. In 7th month, the pregnant lady experiences itiching in her skin specially on her womb's skin. As far as possible she should tolrate it and should restrain from using her nails over the affected area. She should apply the extract of sandal wood and lotus over her breast and stomach. Other option is that she may apply the mustard oil prepared by boiling seers' peel, flower of ghava, mustard seeds, mulathi, (these are all medicinal herbs mentioned in Atharvaveda.) In case of itching is not tolerated then she may casually apply her hand over the affected area.
Restrain eating sour, bitter, fried food. Use less salt, have sweet food and lot of water (at least more than 15 glass day).
Do not let yourself be affected by constipation. So to avoid constipation have milk with Gulkand. Please pay attention to these advices because these led to formation of sanskaars on the child, which have a great importance to make child's future.
There are 16 sanskaars in human life, which are mentioned in our eternal four Vedas.
Human body is blessed by God to attain the salvation during family and while discharging all duties, which is the foremost duty of every human being. We should do pious deeds such as yagya, yoga practice. In the past three yugas dignities like Vyas Muni, Shri Ram, Mata Sita, Shri Krishna, all did yagya, yoga practice while living in their family life and doing their respective duties towards Acharya, family, nation etc. and at last they achieved their goal of salvation. So we too should adopt this eternal, Vedic and pious path to achieve the same. Again it is in the hands of a mother to build a good and shining future for her child.
Waheed Kanoongo: Kindly guide me about yoga for pregnant women. Kindly guide me how to control high blood pressure inyoga by a pregnant women.
Swami Ramswarup: Yoga practice is prohibited for a Pregnant woman but she can sit on sukhasan or any comfortable posture to remember the name of God and study holy books which make good effect on baby. However a shavasan sure gives relief in B.P. to her. This asan should be learnt properly and done twice a day or thrice a day at least 20 minutes each time. Please also take medical advice timely.